A 10-year-old boy in Bantul regency, Yogyakarta died after eating what is believed to be poisoned satay, which may have been intended for someone else.
According to reports, the victim’s father, 47-year-old Bandiman, is a motorcycle taxi and delivery driver (locally known as ojek online or ojol for short). On Sunday afternoon, he was approached by a woman who asked him to deliver a package containing the grilled skewered meat to a man named Tomy.
The woman did not hire Bandiman’s services through an app, but agreed to pay him more for the delivery fee. She said the package was from a man named Hamid, but did not give his phone number to Bandiman.
At the destination, Bandiman contacted Tomy, who said he was out of town and asked him to leave the satay with his wife at home. The wife, however, refused to accept the package because she didn’t know anyone named Hamid, so Bandiman took the food home.
There, Bandiman and his family, including his 10-year-old son Naba, ate the satay.
“I ate two skewers and I was fine. But my wife and Naba dipped their satay in the sauce, and they got poisoned,” Bandiman recalled.
Almost immediately, Naba said his mouth tasted bitter and washed the food down with water. He then vomited before collapsing and foaming at the mouth.
Bandiman’s wife also had a strong reaction to the satay, but she managed to vomit the food out immediately.
Bandiman took Naba to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead from poisoning.
Police say they are investigating the case, including by conducting a toxicity analysis on the satay, but have not revealed if they have any leads. The identity of the woman who gave Bandiman the satay remains a mystery.