A Singaporean tourist reportedly flung himself from the fifth floor of his hotel in Legian, Bali after consuming magic mushrooms.
The 23-year-old was allegedly hallucinating from the ‘shrooms’ when he jumped to his death in the early hours of Saturday morning, around 2am.
The young man’s friend tried to hold him back from jumping, but lost control and the victim broke free, police told local reporters.
The Singaporean died on the spot from the fall. His body was evacuated to BIMC Hospital, according to police.
Kuta Police Commissioner Wayan Sumara says the victim, who was a student, died instantly from the fall.
The victim’s friend, who was apparently a fellow classmate, said they had purchased a magic mushroom drink outside their hotel on Saturday evening. The victim mixed his mushrooms with orange juice, while his friend used chocolate as a mixer.
Not long after, the victim said he wanted to get out and jump, but his friend tried to hold him down and prevent him from going anywhere, police said.
“The witness lost hold on the victim, who immediately jumped into the back alley of the Akmani Hotel,” Sumara said, as quoted by Tribun Bali.
A security guard said he heard a crashing sound around 2:15 am.
“After 30 minutes, an ambulance came and immediately took him. His friend admitted to drinking mushrooms,” the security guard told Tribun.
The Singaporeans had arrived in Bali on May 5 and had planned to check out at noon on May 7.
Police say they are still investigating the case.
Denpasar Police Commissioner Hadi Purnomo said that law enforcement has been taking efforts to eradicate the magic mushroom trade in Bali, but it’s been ‘quite tricky.’
“We have made various efforts, making raids and so forth,” Purnomo said.
Police had previously been ‘tolerant’ towards magic mushrooms in Bali, but clamped down in 2014, as shrooms were re-classified as type 1 narcotics, making them criminal.