After looking at length for two different Bali drowning victims, official searches in Nusa Penida have been called off.
The first search that Klunkung Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) and Nusa Penida Police has stopped is for the body of eight-year-old Ni Kadek Indah Berliana.
Berliana was dragged out to sea earlier this month by a strong wave at Nusa Penida natural infinity pool, Angel’s Billabong. The young girl’s honeymooning family member, Lestari Williams, 24, was also pulled out by the strong wave, but Williams’ body was recovered just 24 hours after the tragic accident.
The second search that has been stopped is for the body of 57-year-old Dra Ni Gusti Ayu Sukaseni.
Sukaseni fell from a boat on June 8 in Nusa Penida waters during choppy conditions with crazy high waves.
“The standard operating procedure in searching for survivors officially ends when a victim has been reported missing for one week. But we urge fishermen, coastal residents, and Water Police officers to help monitor for both of the victims along the ocean and coastal area,” Nusa Penida Police Chief I Gede Arianta told Tribun Bali.
Meanwhile, police are still investigating the Caspla III, the boat that Sukaseni fell from, for negligence.
“Until now, there have been no legal decisions about these events, because we are still looking for evidence,” Arianta said.
Chairman of the DPRD (regional council) Klungkung, I Komang Suantara is demanding that police take legal action if they find that the Caspla III was negligent at all or that the boat didn’t comply with safety standards.
“It’s a big case, because of its connection with the life of a person. If there is sea transport, or boats, that ignore safety standards and has improper operations, it should not be granted an operational license,” Suantara said.
Show your local Bali pride with our new City Logo Tee! Available on sale until September 30 at The Coconuts Shop.