Authorities in Bali have certainly been kept busy with people blatantly ignoring official restrictions and health protocols amid the COVID-19 pandemic, with a bar in Kuta’s famous Legian street being the latest to find themselves raided amid a crowded party.
Public Order Agency (Satpol PP) officers in Badung raided Le Giant Pool & Bar last night and instructed visitors to vacate the premises, after receiving a tip from local residents.
Footage from the event bring to mind similar raids we’ve seen in recent weeks, location being the main differing aspect. Last night, dozens of guests at Le Giant appeared to have partied as if there was no coronavirus; standing close to one another with few to no masks in sight as music blared in the background.
“We asked them to close temporarily from today onwards, until it is officially permitted by the government,” Head of Satpol PP Badung, I Gusti Agung Kerta Suryanegara, told Coconuts Bali.
“If we find them opening again tonight we have asked the Kuta Police to act according to the National Police’s advisory [on social distancing].”
We have reached out to Le Giant Pool & Bar to hear their side of the story, and will update this story as soon as we hear back from them.
The provincial government in Bali has issued various restrictions since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak, but stopped short of going into a full lockdown. Restaurants and cafes in the province have been permitted to stay open, bearing health protocols in mind and with a curfew of 9pm, though Suryanegara noted that the curfew has been extended to 11pm since June 1.
However, bars and nightclubs are not permitted to open, whereas live music performances are strictly prohibited. Any tourism-related businesses are also obliged to report and verify their reopening to local officials, Suryanegara said.
This week also saw the aftermath of a crowded gathering in Gianyar regency lead to sanctions from immigration officers. The founder of Bali spiritual community House of Om, Wissam Barakeh, is set for deportation after his temporary stay permit was revoked for hosting a crowded gathering last week that violated health protocols.
Paywall: You’re outta here, Coconuts stories are free for all
We have removed our paywall on all Coconuts stories. This does not mean the end of COCO+ Membership at all, but the value proposition is changing.
Rather than being a transactional subscription – whereby you pay for access to content – it is now a true membership program – whereby Coconuts stories are free for everyone but super-fans can monetarily support our independent journalism, and get added member benefits.
If you'd like to support Coconuts, you can become a COCO+ Member for as little as US$5 per year. Thank you!