Well here’s something that’s definitely not sweet — earlier this week, Facebook user Daw Khin Khin Thein uploaded this photo of a nail that she found inside a piece of candy. As in, a metal tack that was somehow poured into the candy as it was being made.
She uploaded the picture with the comment “My granddaughter was eating some candy and said to me, ‘Grandma, this candy is hard, I can’t bite into it.’ We took it out of her mouth to look and there was a nail inside.” We can only imagine the shock that she must’ve felt in that instant.
Daw Khin Khin Thein adds, “Thankfully my grandchild was old enough to realize that something was wrong. What would’ve happened if this had been with a younger kid?”
In another comment underneath, she also added, “I’m not sure if it went in accidentally, or if the factory isn’t sanitary, or if angry workers who wanted to disgrace the company intentionally put it there.”
The majority of user comments express a mixture of shock and anger, with some people joking “Made in Myanmar.” And of course, this is the internet, so naturally there are also a handful of users who are mad at Daw Khin Khin Thein for apparently trying to disgrace the company; in response, the majority of people are rightfully pointing out that this kind of thing needs to be made public. Some have even said that this isn’t the first story like this that they’ve heard recently, which is, um, alarming, to say the least.
One person suggested that the candy be sent to the FDA, although history has shown that they don’t exactly have the strictest of safety standards, so in the meantime, let’s just try to be more vigilant and check for nails in our candy before consuming them.