Reports have emerged this afternoon that the two teens at the center of one of Malaysia’s most shocking deaths have been granted bail to the tune of RM50,000 (US$10,250) each.
Both were taken into police custody on March 4, and along with their mother, were accused of murdering their stepfather, Nazrin Hassan, a popular leader in Malaysia’s start-up community.
Months before their arrest, police had said that suspicious marks were found on the victim, and the archery-loving boys were taken in for questioning. At the time, they were eventually released without charge.
The unnamed boys’ biological father had earlier applied for their release, and the presiding judge clarified that granting bail to minors charged with murder “is normal,” providing there is no flight risk.
“Considering the family background and their academic achievements, the court believed both of them would not repeat the same offence or disturb the prosecution witness,” said High Court Judge Ab Karim Ab Rahman.
Each boy, aged 14 and 17, is required to present himself at a police station, weekly, and have a curfew between 6pm and 6am.
Earlier this month, the brothers, along with their mother Samirah Muzaffar, were taken into police custody under the pretense of causing the death of their stepfather, Cradle Fund CEO, Nazrin. An Indonesian maid is also being sought by officers, and has reportedly fled to her homeland.
On June 14, 2018, Nazrin was found dead in his family home in Mutiara Damansara. Initially, his family claimed that he had perished after a mobile phone exploded, causing a fire in his room. Police would later reclassify the case as murder, claiming that traces of petrol were found on the body, and a second postmortem is said to have concluded Nazrin died from head injuries. Police have refrained from making an official statement on the matter.
In the months leading to his death, the CEO had reportedly received death threats.
Samirah had previously, and strenuously, denied any claims of wrong-doing.