Police plan on moving Ahok’s trial from North to East Jakarta amid security concerns

Having been fast-tracked through the legal system due to the intense public spotlight on the case, officials have announced that Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s blasphemy trial will now be starting next Tuesday (as opposed to tomorrow as was previously announced).

But where it would be taking place has not been entirely clear as National Police Chief Tito Karnavian mentioned that the North Jakarta District Court, where the trial was originally set to be held, might not be the best from a security standpoint (considering the inevitable mass of protesters that are likely to show up). However, it now looks like authorities have decided upon the new trial location.

“It will be moved to Cibubur. It is now being checked out by (Grand Commissioner Verdianto, head of the Operations Bureau at the Jakarta Metro Police),” said Raden Prabowo Argo Yuwono, head of public relations for the Jakarta Police, as quoted by Kompas today.

Argo refused to give a reason for the change in venue, saying that it was up to the authority of the court and police were merely in charge of securing the location. 

Yesterday, Tito said that he wanted to move the trial away from the economic centers of the city, while still making it accessible to the public.




BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Youtube video
Subscribe on