Tragedy struck in Ciamis, West Java when a small child was killed by an exploding phone, an official said.
The third grader, who is identified by his initials IHM, was found dead in his home yesterday afternoon with burn marks on his chest.
Next to his body was a phone that had exploded into pieces, and a charger plugged to the wall.
“When the boy came home, his mom went to the restaurant to buy food. And then the incident happened at 2pm,” village chief Dedi said.
Authorities believe IHM was using the phone when it was plugged to the charger. The phone’s battery, which had popped out of the phone, was recovered at the scene.
“The family accepts this incident as a tragedy. Please raise awareness among the public that phones can pose some dangers,” Dedi said.