Despite overwhelming public belief that neither should be prosecuted over the leak of their private sex tape, police are pressing ahead with their investigation of singer/actress Gisella Anastasia and Michael Yukinobu de Fretes, prompting the latter to come forward with a public apology in undoubtedly stressful circumstances, even though he doesn’t owe one to any of us.
Gisel, as the actress is popularly known, was named as suspect in late December after confessing to be the woman in the sex tape, which circulated widely online in early November. While police previously identified the man she was with only by his initials MYD, his real identity has since been disclosed. The video itself was reportedly taken in a hotel room in Medan back in 2017.
Nobu, as he’s affectionately known, was questioned for almost half a day at the Jakarta Metro Police HQ yesterday. Speaking to the press in the evening, Nobu promised to be cooperative as a law-abiding citizen.
“For everything that has happened all this time, I truly regret and apologize to all the Indonesian public, to [my] family, and to the related parties. I truly regret everything I’ve done,” Nobu said yesterday.
“This is a punishment from God on me, I plead for your support and prayers and I truly apologize.”
Gisel was also summoned to the police yesterday, but has reportedly rescheduled her attendance to Friday.
Gisel and Nobu may individually face up to 12 years in prison for producing and distributing pornographic content under Indonesia’s vague anti-pornography law.
It would theoretically be difficult for the police to prove intent on Gisel’s part as the sex tape was said to have been recorded privately and for private use before it leaked to the public last year. It’s not yet known who managed to obtain the video, but police have said that Gisel sent the video to Nobu shortly after it was recorded and argued that both were negligent in safeguarding the file.