Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan today announced the extension of the Large-Scale Social Restrictions (PSBB) protocol in Jakarta to what is officially phrased as a “transition period,” which is set to last until officials deem it safe to fully lift what is essentially a partial lockdown.
The third phase of PSBB protocol in the capital ends today, with today’s extension marking the fourth phase of the protocol since it was first implemented in April. Anies said that this will also serve as the transition period from the partial lockdown policy to the so-called “new normal,” or the next phase of life with COVID-19.
“We in the [COVID-19] task force decided to extend the PSBB protocol in Jakarta, and set the month of June as the transition period,” Anies said in a press conference that was broadcasted live on YouTube.
“Currently the status hasn’t changed, it’s still PSBB, but we start doing the transition in the month of June, to what direction? Towards a safe, healthy, and productive [direction],” he continued.
Anies did not specify an end date to the transition period, but noted that officials will continue to evaluate relevant indicators to determine when it is safe and reasonable to fully lift the protocol. The first evaluation is scheduled for the end of June.
According to Anies, the decision to extend PSBB into a transition period was taken due to the growing numbers of green and yellow areas –– in reference to areas with low and medium levels of transmission –– with many areas still marked in red, indicating high rates of infection. During the transition period, businesses and individuals are still subject to sanctions as previously laid out, should they be found violating regulations under PSBB.
A number of public and business activities which are not within Jakarta’s red zones are permitted to gradually resume at 50 percent capacity and following specified protocols throughout the month of June, with houses of worship and outdoor sports facilities being allowed first, starting tomorrow.
The rest of the month will see different sectors reopening at half capacity under a schedule laid out by the provincial government. Offices, warehouses, museums, galleries, libraries, as well as stand-alone restaurants and shops, for example, can start reopening on June 8, while malls and shopping centers are to follow suit starting June 15.
Also starting June 8, motorcycle taxis will once again be allowed to transport passengers in the capital after they were only allowed to transport goods and food during previous iterations of PSBB.
As of this afternoon, Jakarta’s cumulative COVID-19 caseload stands at 7,539, including 2,530 recoveries and 529 deaths.
Today’s announcement appears to have effectively postponed or annulled what was laid out by an official from the Jakarta provincial government yesterday, which concerns a plan on community-scale quarantine called “Local-Scale Social Restrictions” or PSBL for short.