Indonesian airlines seem to have a habit of getting into the least flattering lists. In 2016, nine Indonesian airlines were included in a list of 10 least safe airlines in the world, and now one airline has been ranked among the least punctual in the world.
UK based aviation data analysts OAG recently released its annual airlines punctuality report in 2017, and Indonesia AirAsiaX — the Malaysian airline’s Indonesian subsidiary for long haul low-cost flights — ranked fifth least punctual in the world with an On Time Performance (OTP) of 56.8%. “On time,” as defined in the study, is a flight that arrives or departs no later than 15 minutes from schedule.
10. Xiamen Airlines Company (China) – 58.3 percent
9. Philippines AirAsia Inc. (Philippines) – 58.0 percent
8. Sunwing Airlines Inc. (Canada) – 57.9 percent
7. Cebu Pacific Air (Philippines) – 57.6 percent
6. SATA International-Azores Airlines S.A. (Portugal) – 57.1 percent
5. Indonesia AirAsia X (Indonesia) – 56.8 percent
4. LACSA-Lineas Aereas Costarricenses (Costa Rica) – 54.2 percent
3. Shenzhen Airlines (China) – 53.5 percent
2. AVIOR Airlines (Venezuela) – 53.1 percent
1. Air Inuit (Canada) – 44.6 percent
Punctuality seems to be an issue for Asian airlines as they make up the majority of those on the 10 least punctual list, which include the likes of Philippines AirAsia, Shenzen Airlines, Cebu Pacific Air, and Xiamen Airlines Company. The title for least punctual airline in the world last year, however, belongs to Canada’s Air Inuit, which had a paltry OTP score of 44.6%
Now you might wonder about the conspicuous absence of a certain notoriously non-punctual Indonesian low cost carrier on the list. Well, that might be because OAG only features airlines for which they have data covering at least 80 percent of all departures, leading to absences of many notable airlines from around the world in the report.
The punctuality report is based on 57 million flight data from around the world in 2017. The report also measures OTPs for airports around the world, but sadly no Indonesian airport made the list of the most punctual airports.