Many young adults in Indonesia grew up playing video games from Japan and America, and some of them loved them so much that they went on to become talented game designers themselves. Nowadays, you can find plenty of Indonesian-themed games from Indonesian designers, especially mobile game apps.
To spotlight the work of these designers, internet giant Google is holding a contest called, appropriately enough, Indonesia Games Contest.
Beginning in late January, the company called for submissions that met a few basic criteria: The developers had to be based in Indonesia, the games had to have been published on the Google Play store after January 1, 2016, and the games had to be localized into Bahasa Indonesia.
The entry period ended on March 19 and Google says over 200 games were submitted for their consideration. Entries were then evaluated based on criteria including their level of localization, innovation, fun and design excellence, as well as technical and production quality.
Yesterday, Google revealed its picks for the top 15 finalists in the contest. Here they are (in alphabetical order). Links lead to the Google Play store so you can download them.
- Badminton Stars (IPlayAllDay Studio)
- Bubur Ayam Rush (Milkish Game Studio)
- Bunbu Dance Tour: Idol Clicker (Regulus Studio)
- CHIPS: Monster Tap (Dragon Capital Centre, PT.)
- Cute Munchies (Niji Games)
- Football Saga Fantasista (Agate Games)
- Marbel Pemadam Kebakaran (Educa Studio)
- Nonstop Show (Wisageni Studio)
- Number Rumble: Perang Otak (Game5mobile)
- Si Udin: om telolet om (Tebak Gambar)
- Tahu Bulat (Own Games)
- Telolet Bus Driving 3D (LOCOS)
- TTS Lontong (Gambir Game Studio)
- Vimala: Defense Warlords (MassHive Media)
- Warung Chain: Go Food Express (Touchten)
On April 26, Google is holding an event at Plaza Indonesia, open to the public, to celebrate the finalists and announce the top 3 winners. The winners will be chosen based on votes by attendees as well as a judging panel made up of Google and game industry experts. Winners will get Android 4K TV sets and the first place fishers will be featured in a Android Developer Story video produced by Google Play. For more info check out the Indonesia Games Contest homepage.
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!