RIP Pets: Dreadful heat killing Bangkok’s cutest, vulnerable residents

Famed rocker Athiwara “Toon Bodyslam” Khongmalai and actress girlfriend mourning their french bulldog, Somkid who died of heat stroke on Friday. Photo: Rachwin Journey/ Facebook
Famed rocker Athiwara “Toon Bodyslam” Khongmalai and actress girlfriend mourning their french bulldog, Somkid who died of heat stroke on Friday. Photo: Rachwin Journey/ Facebook

The brutal heat isn’t just tormenting the humans of Thailand but their beloved pets as well.

Famed rocker Athiwara “Toon Bodyslam” Khongmalai, whose dog Somkid died Friday of heat stroke, became yet another animal lover to learn this week that the current punishing heatwave isn’t just hazardous to those on two legs.

Deadly Hot: Thai North blisters at 43C, public warned of stroke


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Artiwara Kongmalai (@artiwara) on

“Thank you na Somkid for bringing me and my family smiles for the last 12 years. Rest in peace. I will always love and miss you,” Athiwara wrote on Instagram.

In fact, everything the rock star philanthropist has posted since then has been dedicated to his late beloved French Bulldog, even if just referencing him with a panda emoji.


View this post on Instagram



A post shared by Artiwara Kongmalai (@artiwara) on

People’s animal companions have been falling sick or dying, leading many to warn their fellow animal lovers about the potentially fatal risk of their pets getting heatstroke.

Pong Techapongtada, a veterinarian at the Thonglor Pet Hospital, said Tuesday that people have been rushing their stroked-out pets into the emergency room practically every day. He said people should indeed be on “high alert” about the dangers posed by excessive heat.

For many though, those warnings came too late.

The owner of a pet food store took to the internet to share how his Siberian Husky, Lucky, fell sick while on an upcountry vacation. Lucky’s worsening condition during the drive back to Bangkok prompted his humans to stop and admit him to Khon Kaen University’s Veterinary Hospital, where he died a day later.

“Have fun running and playing in heaven, Lucky. Rest in Peace,” the owners of B.A.R.F Station wrote.

They said Lucky’s first symptoms manifested as blood seeping from his snout, which later stopped. Yet he still showed other symptoms that, in hindsight, they now know were warning signs, such as repeatedly jumping into a pond.

“I’m very sad but have to pull myself together. … we prepared as much as we could for the heat, but it wasn’t enough. Pet owners, please be mindful of your animals at home,” they wrote on social media.

The pet store’s post from last week gained virality this week when dozens of others flocked to comment on the thread with their own experiences of overheating pets.

“The same thing happened to my dog. It all happened so fast,” commented Facebook user Kanyavee Narak with pictures of her own beloved pooch.

Image may contain: one or more people and shoes
Photo: Kanyavee Narak/Facebook

“My puppy was only two months old when they got heat stroke and died about 10 days ago,” another wrote Thursday.

No photo description available.
Photo: Watcharaporn Phetbunpot/Facebook

One commenter got lucky and saved her pooch in the nick of time. Facebook user Mai Sangkaew commented that her chihuahua suddenly went stiff and began frothing at the mouth. “I had to shower her with almost all the cold water in my fridge,” Mai said.

Photo: Mai Sangkaew/ Facebook
Photo: Mai Sangkaew/ Facebook

And it’s not just dogs. Some netizens described similar symptoms affecting their hamsters, bunnies and cats.

No photo description available.
Photo: Jitbanrong Srigeaow/ Facebook

What to look out for

So what are the symptoms and can heat stroke be prevented?

As with humans, heat stroke in pets occurs when body temperatures rise above the range they can tolerate. That varies from breed to breed, but in dogs the cut-off point is generally 41C, according to PetMD.

Observable symptoms, according to the American Animal Hospital Association:

Excessive panting and drooling, difficulty breathing, irregular heart beat, vomiting / vomiting blood, weakness, stupor or collapsing, seizures and bloody diarrhea.

To avoid heat stroke, owners should never leave their pets alone in parked cars and make sure they spend most of their time in cooler areas – air-conditioned if possible.

When outdoors, make sure your pet has access to shade and isn’t constantly under direct sunlight. And always provide them fresh water.

Thonglor veterinarian Pong Techapongtada also suggested measuring pets temperatures by sucking it up and sticking a thermometer up their bum. He said anything above 103F should be worrisome.

What to do

As soon as your pets display symptoms of heat stroke, owners must immediately cool them by soaking towels in lukewarm water and wrapping them around the affected animal. Pets can also be placed in front of a fan swabbed on their paws and bellies with cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol.

The animal hospital association says to never use cold water because cooling pets too rapidly could also harm them.

After the pet has started to cool down, call or visit a veterinarian for further instructions as medication may be required, depending on the severity of the heat stroke.

Learn more about caring for your pets during a heatwave from the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals.

Paywall: You’re outta here, Coconuts stories are free for all

We have removed our paywall on all Coconuts stories. This does not mean the end of COCO+ Membership at all, but the value proposition is changing.

Rather than being a transactional subscription – whereby you pay for access to content – it is now a true membership program – whereby Coconuts stories are free for everyone but super-fans can monetarily support our independent journalism, and get added member benefits.

If you'd like to support Coconuts, you can become a COCO+ Member for as little as US$5 per year. Thank you!



One thought on “RIP Pets: Dreadful heat killing Bangkok’s cutest, vulnerable residents

  1. Yes it’s tragic that people’s pets are dying….but it’s not the heat that’s killing them, it’s the ignorance of the owners. Pets have become trendy in Thailand and they are bought based on their hipster credentials and their cuteness, with little or no breed knowledge. Of course huskies and malamuts and pomeranians are going to suffer in Thailand, even without the current temperature conditions!! They have evolved to live in sub-zero environments for pity’s sake!! And the same goes for snub-nosed breeds such as frenchies and pugs; Thailand’s climate is far from ideal for them and causes skin problems as well as respiratory problems. If you are a real animal lover then do a little research before you chose to bring a pet into your home!

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

Send this to a friend