A Russian man was electrocuted to death in a warung (eatery) at Balangan beach yesterday after a surfing session.
The 31-year-old guy was identified by officials by his initials, RK. Along with his friend, fellow Russian Mikhail Morgaliuk, RK went surfing at around 1:30pm yesterday and the two left their belongings in the kitchen of Warung Suzuke. They reportedly placed their bags behind the warung’s refrigerator.
The two men came back to the warung at around 2:30pm and, while Morgaliuk decided to rinse some sand off in the toilet, RK reportedly immediately went to the kitchen to grab his stuff.
Moments later, Morgaliuk heard RK’s scream so he immediately rushed to the kitchen only to see his friend receiving a massive electrical shock.
Another witness, Ni Kadek Novi, who was cooking in the kitchen at the time of the incident, immediately ran outside the warung and screamed for help.
Ketut Surata, the warung’s owner, reportedly tried to help RK only to receive an electric shock himself. He was saved by other witnesses who slapped his hands.
RK reportedly received electric shocks for around two to three minutes before witnesses managed to pull his body away.
“His surfing buddy gave him CPR but to no avail. Around 40 minutes later, medical workers came but they could not save him,” said Denpasar Police spokesman Ketut Sukadi.
It is suspected that the electric shocks came from faulty power sockets near the refrigerator.
RK’s body was later brought to Sanglah Hospital.