You know how once every couple weeks there’s someone in the Facebook group Canggu Community asking who the big tattooed bule fellow is, who is always yelling and not paying for stuff?
Well if you haven’t been following, usually someone posts asking about him, only for other netizens to jump in and either commiserate over similar run-ins with the guy, or to chide the OP, telling them to mind their own business since he’s clearly dealing with personal issues and seems to be very unstable.
So now the topic of this man, identified as former MMA fighter, French national Amokrane Sabet, 49, has jumped from social media gossip to a community security concern that’s being intensely covered by a local Bali newspaper.
Starting on Tuesday morning, Tribun Bali published at least three articles detailing Sabet’s encounters with angry Berawa business owners and local law enforcement.
The newspaper wrote that one restaurant owner, who refused to be named, claims that Sabet has been blacklisted by a number of accommodations from Berawa to Seminyak/Kuta, because he’s never willing to pay. The restaurant owner said though that Sabet would regardless still frequent the same places and no one would to dare to speak out against him.
A restaurant security guard had similar things to tell Tribun Bali about Sabet. Nyoman Diantara said Sabet visited his restaurant in 2015 and when he wanted leave without paying, the manager tried to stop him—but then he just threatened the manager, Diantara said.
“My manager was threatened and ran out screaming for help. Actually, before he treated my manager like that, he was already blacklisted in every hotel, villa, and restaurant in Seminyak. And now here (in Berawa), he has also been blacklisted,” Diantara stated.
The security guard continued that the man’s presence would often make travelers uneasy.
For example: “Not long ago, there was a bule in the street with his wife. Amokrane then stopped in front of the the bule couple and said, ‘Your wife is pretty, can I borrow her?’”.
North Kuta Police Police Chief I Wayan Arta Ariawan confirmed that Sabet had previously been reported to the police because he had often made people uneasy in Berawa. And on April 7, he was again reported to the police by a local resident for allegedly making threats and reckless driving on Jl. Pantai Berawa.
But according to Tribun Bali, Sabet directly tore the police summons he was given and has not responded to police, even after being threatened with deportation.
Ariawan says police will send him another summons and then if he still doesn’t respond, they will decide their course of action from there.
“Yes, residents often complain about this bule. He loves making mischief. I do not know his job here and what he does. And, for how long he’s been here, I’m not sure, but it’s clear he’s been here since 2013,” the police chief said.
The newspaper has not yet quoted Sabet himself.