The Bali provincial government announced seven additional hospitals to handle COVID-19 cases, putting the total number of dedicated health facilities on the island to 11, as more and more positive cases are recorded across Indonesia.
Dewa Made Indra, regional secretary of Bali provincial government, made the announcement yesterday during a live press conference. The 11 hospitals designated to handle COVID-19 cases are as follows:
- Sanglah General Hospital (Denpasar)
- Sanjiwani Gianyar Hospital (Gianyar regency)
- Tabanan General Hospital (Tabanan regency)
- Buleleng Regional General Hospital (Buleleng regency)
- Wangaya General Hospital (Denpasar)
- Bali Mandara Hospital (Denpasar)
- Mangusada Regional Hospital (Badung regency)
- Udayana University Hospital (Badung regency)
- Negara General Hospital (Jembrana regency)
- Klungkung Regional General Hospital (Klungkung regency)
- Pratama Giri Emas Hospital (Buleleng regency)
As of this afternoon, Indonesia has confirmed 686 positive cases of COVID-19 in the country, which includes 55 deaths and 30 recoveries.
Bali accounts for six of the total number of cases and two deaths, that of a 53-year-old British woman and a 72-year-old French man.
The four remaining positive cases on the island are a foreign couple, whereas the other two are Indonesian citizens with travel histories from an infected country and Jakarta, respectively, officials said.
During the press conference, Indra mentioned that many people are still ignoring calls for social distancing.
“The information on two Indonesians from Bali testing positive should make local residents more cautious. People should not take this lightly. Do not ignore the government’s instructions, don’t carry out activities outside the home unless it’s very important,” Indra said.
Tourist destinations across the island have announced temporary closures until at least the end of this month, including popular spots Tanah Lot, Bali Zoo and Jatiluwih Rice Terraces.
The government in Bali has now prohibited the Ogoh-Ogoh parade after previously only issuing limitations. The annual event usually takes place on the eve of Nyepi and draws huge crowds, indicating the government’s heightened effort in discouraging public gatherings and for citizens to comply with the social distancing recommendations from experts.
In addition, Bali Governor I Wayan Koster also called for Balinese to remain in their homes on Thursday, the day after the Balinese Day of Silence or Nyepi, when local residents traditionally resume their daily activities or pay a visit to their friends and relatives.