Australian man was in single vehicle crash, not assaulted in Kuta: Bali Police

Lachlan Hunt (Right) at the police station apologizing for the confusion surrounding his case. Photo: Video screengrab
Lachlan Hunt (Right) at the police station apologizing for the confusion surrounding his case. Photo: Video screengrab

The Bali Police is setting the record straight in regards to the tragedy that befell an Australian national in Kuta, saying that an investigation into the case revealed that he was involved in a single vehicle crash and not assaulted as previously claimed.

Perth-based Lachlan “Lachie” Hunt was allegedly assaulted in Kuta on Jan. 12 in an incident that received widespread coverage by Australian media. Details about the assault were murky, and, according to a GoFundMe page set up for Hunt, the victim could not “remember much” of what happened to him.

Bali Police spokesman Bayu Satake today said in a statement sent to Coconuts that based on eyewitness testimonies, Hunt was severely inebriated when he was driving his motorbike fast on Jalan Poppies 1 at 4am that day. 

Hunt fell face down when he lost control of the vehicle as it came over a speed bump. He then lost consciousness for 30 minutes, after which he got up and walked away with blood all over his face.

When questioned by the police, Hunt admitted that he had gone drinking with his friends right before the incident. He said he drove home at around 3:30am, during which time his phone fell on the road. As he stopped to retrieve it, Hunt claims he felt somebody push him from behind, resulting in the nasty fall.

Nonetheless, Hunt claims he does not know who spread the story that he was assaulted. It must also be noted that his friend launched his GoFundMe page on his behalf.

Indeed, Satake today sent Coconuts a video of Hunt at the police station apologizing for all the fuss his crash has caused.

“The Australian media articles that went viral were all incorrect and twisted. This happened due to me not making any statements to the Australian media,” Hunt said, reading off a written statement.

“The reason the GoFundMe was made was for friends and family to help pay for the hospital bill. In no way did I have any intention for this to go viral and be taken over by the Australian media.”

(Video provided by Bali Police)

No charges have reportedly been brought against Hunt.

In light of the revelation, Bayu Satake warned against fake news and hoaxes that may negatively affect Bali’s image.

RELATED

Denpasar Police to launch probe into Aussie man’s alleged assault in Kuta
Police are launching an investigation into the alleged assault of an Australian man in Bali, after the victim was hospitalized for serious injuries and a fundraiser was set up to… Read more.
Denpasar Police to launch probe into Aussie man’s alleged assault in Kuta
Police are launching an investigation into the alleged assault of an Australian man in Bali, after the victim was hospitalized for serious injuries and a fundraiser was set up to… Read more.


Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

MOST POPULAR