Aussie tourist says he got ‘Bali belly’ after drinking water from a hose

An Australian tourist needed medical attention for diarrhea after drinking water from a hose by the pool of a rented villa. Photo: Obtained.
An Australian tourist needed medical attention for diarrhea after drinking water from a hose by the pool of a rented villa. Photo: Obtained.

An Australian man required medical attention after suffering traveler’s diarrhea (commonly known amongst travelers on the Island of Gods as “Bali belly”) that he got from – wait for it – drinking water from a hose by the swimming pool of a villa.

Isaac Power uploaded a picture of himself drinking the water – after he accepted a challenge from his friends whom he rented the villa with – to a Facebook group.

Did it end well? Well, Power uploaded another photo of him getting medical attention from a doctor.

“Shout-out [to] doctor Ari, he’s still alive,” he wrote in the group, referring to himself in the third person.

While Bali belly is anecdotally quite common amongst foreign travelers on the island, it must be stressed that it seemed that Power suffered it by drinking water that is, well, not drinking water

Commenters mostly sympathized with Power, with some calling him a rookie while others said that pretty much everybody experiences Bali belly at some point.

For what it’s worth, one should avoid drinking tap water in Bali, let alone water coming out of a hose. Bottled water, for all its environmental flaws, should keep one hydrated without the Bali belly risk.

Subscribe to the WTF is Up in Southeast Asia + Hong Kong podcast to get our take on the top trending news and pop culture from the region every Thursday!



Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

MOST POPULAR