Aussie surfer injured in suspected shark attack at Balian, Bali

An Australian man has reportedly been injured in a suspected shark attack while he was surfing at Balian Beach, Bali. 

Local newspaper Tribun Bali is reporting that Daniel Qeran*, 48, was out surfing when he was allegedly attacked by a shark at 7:30 am on Monday morning. 

The Aussie has reportedly suffered wounds on his right hand from the suspected shark attack. 

“It’s alleged that the victim is suffering from a shark bite. The victim has been taken to BIMC Hospital in Badung,” Tabanan Police spokesman Assistant Commissioner I Putu Oka Suyasa told Tribun Bali. 

Balian, a popular surfing spot, is in Bali’s Tabanan regency and was the same site where an American surfer was attacked in April 2016

I Made Edi Sumardika, an apparent witness of the incident, told Tribun Bali that there were about 10 foreigners out surfing at Balian, when all of a sudden they started rushing towards the beach. 

One of the surfers who came out of the water was bleeding, Sumardika said. 

At the request of the victim, the surfer was rushed to BIMC, according to Tribun’s report. 

 

Editor’s Notes:

1. An earlier version of this story referenced a local news report stating that the Australian surfer had been bit on the toe. After receiving a number of inquiries from our readers and reports later surfacing from additional local news sources that the surfer was actually bit on the hand, we have updated this article to reflect this more up-to-date information. We apologize for the error. 

2. While Indonesian media reported the surfer’s identity as Daniel Qeran, reports from Australian media have identified the injured surfer as 48-year-old Daniel Moore. 

 


By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on
MOST POPULAR