After their operations were suspended over permit issues, The Cave, a restaurant built inside a cave in Pecatu that is run by The Edge Hotel, announced yesterday that they are back in business following a green light from the authorities.
The Edge General Manager Melida Weber announced The Cave’s reopening on the restaurant’s official Instagram account.
“After a short pause in recent days [….] we are delighted to report that The Cave Bali by Chef Ryan Clift is now fully reopened,” she said.
As previously reported, the dining place was in the spotlight amid questions about whether geological formation was part of the country’s cultural heritage, as well as whether diners would be able to enjoy their meals there without worrying about their safety.
The decision to suspend The Cave was made on July 19 after Satpol PP (Public Order Agency), along with Badung’s Cultural Heritage Bureau and Capital Investment and One Stop Service (DPMPTSP), inspected the restaurant.
However, as of yesterday, the restaurant is back in business, with Melida stating that they “appreciate all the efforts” of the Badung Satpol PP and the cultural agency as well as “all parties involved for doing their due diligence on such a unique venue and concluding that there were no issues.”
“We are delighted to be back,” she concluded.
Separately, Badung Cultural Agency Head I Gde Eka Sudarwitha said that after reviewing the cave, which is located on Pura Goa Lempeh Street in Pecatu Village, South Kuta District, they concluded that there were no signs of archeological artifacts at the site that would make it part of a cultural heritage.
Officials said an underground cavity had existed at the site for thousands, if not millions, of years. Entrance to the cavity was inadvertently opened – thus transforming the formation into a full-blown cave – when construction for The Edge hotel began in 2013.