The Beauty and Living furniture showroom on Pyay Road in Mayangone Township’s Ward 7 went up in flames at around noon yesterday.
Over 400 firefighters reported to the scene, four of whom suffered minor injuries while breaking through the glass wall of the building in order to fight the fire. One was later hospitalized for a deep laceration.
According to the Myanmar Fire Service Department, the fire was categorized as Level 3. It was put under control by 12:45pm and extinguished by 5:45pm.
The fire started when the main breaker in the building overheated. The staff had been trained to fight an electric fire and had fire extinguishers on hand, but the fire grew out of control nonetheless.
Deputy Director U Thaw Tar from the Yangon Region Fire Service Department said 58 vehicles, including fire engines, were used to put out the blaze.
The fire caused K27.5 million (US$21,400) in damages, according to the Fire Service Department.