The Singapore Food Agency (SFA) has responded to a woman’s shocking finding of a translucent live worm in her sashimi rice bowl from the popular Don Don Donki Singapore.
Photos and videos from Facebook user Jayice Tan showed a worm curling up and wriggling on her raw tuna in a Kaisen Don, a sashimi rice bowl, she bought from Don Don Donki Singapore’s outlet in 100 AM mall.
“Upon taking a closer look, we were wondering if that “something” was “moving”, and decided to continue observing. After a few seconds, to our horror, it was moving and wriggling!” she wrote in the post on Wednesday.
Tan said she was “astounded” to find the parasite clinging to her food as she was already almost done eating it.
The SFA told reporters today that those who consume raw fish should have known that it is a “high-risk food” as it doesn’t involve any cooking, that it can have microbiological contamination and the fish carries a risk of contracting parasitic diseases.
Thus, SFA said they are conducting more strict reviews on raw fish and testing for various food-borne hazards. Pregnant women, children, the elderly and people with chronic diseases such as diabetes should most definitely not consume any raw fish.
Spokespeople from Don Don Donki Singapore also told reporters today that they are in touch with Tan and said they are unable to remove all parasites from the food during visual checks as they are sometimes hidden “deep inside the core of the fish or embedded in the fish.”
It also took the opportunity to boast the quality of its fish as it said that these parasites are commonly found in fresh fish and seafood.
In fact, there’s even an advisory put up near its raw seafood advising that buyers can cook the fish at more than 60 degrees Celsius or freeze it to get rid of the parasitic worms.
Tan ended her post by saying that the incident has scarred her and advised the public to really take a look at what they’re eating before putting it in their mouth.
“Looking at the videos make us wanna puke further, it just makes us feel so uncomfortable and nauseated 🤢 right now,” she wrote.
“So guys and gals, do OPEN your eyes BIG BIG before you put food into your mouth, you never know what goes in! 😑” she added.
Other stories you should check out: