Fire at Yuhua Village Market & Food Centre causes 10 stalls to close for repair works

Screengrab from video

A raging fire that engulfed a noodle stall at Yuhua Village Market & Food Centre on Tuesday evening resulted in the closure of 10 stalls the next day. The blaze, which broke out around 8pm at Blk 254, Jurong East St 24, saw a man in his 30s sent to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital for cuts on his right hand.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) told The Straits Times that the flames involved an exhaust duct linked to one of the stalls. The fire was eventually extinguished with two water jets.

A Jurong-Clementi Town Council spokesman explained to ST that the fire had caused damages to the exhaust fan, metal roof and fittings of affected stalls. The gas supplier and electricians made the rounds at the closed stalls to conduct safety inspections on Wednesday, and while several stalls went back to business as usual afterwards, 10 remain closed for repair works.

The town council hopes to complete the repairs by today for stalls 01-07 to 01-16. As most stall owners have fire insurance, the spokesman said that the Town Council — along with the National Environment Agency and grassroots leaders — will provide help.

In other fiery news, the police are investigating a fire that broke out at a toilet in a McDonald’s outlet in Bedok North on Wednesday. The SCDF dispatched two fire engines, a Red Rhino and an ambulance to the scene, where officers put out the fire with a dry powder extinguisher.

Luckily, there were no injuries from the incident, which happened at 6:25pm at Blk 539 Bedok North St 3, reported Channel NewsAsia.

The police have classified it as a case of mischief.

McDonald’s made a statement to say that all customers and employees were evacuated, and operations were resumed at 1:05am on Thursday.

Leave a Reply

By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy