COVID-19 has spread to the internet’s favorite animal in Hong Kong and forced some of the city’s nightlife to go dark, while Thailand today threatened to jail citizens making April Fool’s pranks and Indonesia unveiled a US$24 billion aid package.
The infected domestic cat was Hong Kong’s second domesticated animal species to test positive in the city after a Pomeranian became infected.
Down in Malaysia, confirmed infections creeped closer to the 3,000 mark while those in Singapore have nearly reached a thousand.
Asian markets were all over the place today. Though most key indices closed down from Singapore to Bangkok, markets in Taiwan and Jakarta saw small gains.
More updates from the Coconuts newsrooms in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong:
- Malaysia recorded its highest single-day number of recoveries today with 108 people. Around 600 have been discharged from hospitals since the outbreak began in the country.
- Another 142 confirmed cases pushed its total to 2,908 with two more deaths – an 80-year-old woman and 62-year-old man – making for a known toll of 45. Both had histories of diabetes and hypertension.
- Foreign nationals will be barred from entering Indonesia starting tomorrow, according to the latest updates to the country’s travel restrictions today.
- The government unveiled an IDR405.1 trillion (US$24.5 billion) coronavirus relief package today, which is expected to be channeled into areas including health care and the economy.
- West Java Gov. Ridwan Kamil reportedly urged citizens working abroad to avoid returning home so as to prevent the further spread of the disease in the country. More than 100,000 residents have returned from overseas in recent weeks, South China Morning Post reported.
- The first COVID-19 case in the Banyuwangi town of East Java had visited Bali, officials revealed. Dozens of others who recently arrived from the island are being monitored.
- More than 300 Indonesian cruise ship members had skipped quarantine after returning to Bali from outbreak center Italy. The chief of the province’s Manpower Agency said they went through rapid COVID-19 tests at the airport and results came back negative.
- Confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 1,677 and the known death toll to 157.
- The country’s Department of Health is being questioned for allegedly purchasing medical equipment, including personal protective gear, above market price.
- Confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 2,311 and the death toll to 96. A total of 227 new cases and eight new deaths were reported today. Those who died mostly had a history of medical diseases.
- Confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 926 in Singapore after 47 more were reported last night. New cases have leveled off but not noticeably declined. Four were linked to a new outbreak cluster at a migrant worker dormitory on Toh Guan Road.
- The Fairprice Finest supermarket outlet in Bedok Mall has been shut three days for disinfection after an employee tested positive for COVID-19 last night.
- Another animal has tested positive for coronavirus in Hong Kong. A house cat contracted the disease after its owner became infected. Kitty was put in quarantine yesterday.
- Six public venues including karaoke lounges and mahjong parlors have been ordered shut for two weeks starting tomorrow. The new measure was announced after a number of infections were traced to a karaoke lounge in Tsim Sha Tsui.
- Nearly 100 Hongkongers stranded in Peru, including 30 tourists, will return Friday on board a chartered plane.
- Confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 764 today after 51 new infections were reported, including that of a 40-day-old baby.
- Thai police authorities warned the public today of penalties if anyone pretended to be infected with COVID-19 or made virus-related jokes. Violators face up to a THB100,000 (around US$3,000) fine or five years in prison.
- All stores in Bangkok, including convenience stores and food stalls, must shut at midnight starting tonight as part of measures to reduce the number of infections.
- A 57-year-old Thai man found dead on a train that left Bangkok for the Deep South posthumously tested positive today for COVID-19.
- Confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 1,771.
Singapore kids shed shirts, learn in PJs as weekly homeschooling begins
First confirmed COVID-19 patient in Banyuwangi traveled from Bali: official
Hundreds of Indonesian crew members flying in from Italy skip quarantine after testing negative for COVID-19
‘Where’s that corona? I’ll swallow it,’ says Indonesian city councillor as he challenges COVID-19 precautions (Video)
(Don’t) Panic: This online art exhibit records COVID-19 feelings through toilet paper
Former ‘Pinoy Big Brother’ star Niña Jose and husband ‘doing fine’ despite COVID-19
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!