Burger King Singapore is investigating an unfortunate incident involving two families and a fire extinguisher.
The establishment told Coconuts today that it was aware of a dispute after a boy triggered a fire extinguisher that sprayed into the eyes of two children at their Coastal PlayGrove outlet on Sunday.
“We have launched an internal investigation to better understand the incident and we have reached out to Ms Lim directly,” The fast food joint’s statement wrote.
They have reached out to a woman identified as Irene Lim who yesterday blamed the restaurant and other diners for traumatizing the children with her.
“What a day. Inconsiderate diners who did not take care of their children and their conduct. An irresponsible dining establishment that deprioritise patron’s safety and well being,” she wrote.
Lim said they were waiting for their dinner at the Coastal PlayGrove outlet when they heard an explosion-like bang from the table next to them and saw a big poof of white and powdery smoke. She claimed that a boy of about 10 or 12 seated next to them had activated the fire extinguisher and sprayed her daughter and nephew in the eyes.
“Unsurprisingly, the white smoke affected my older girl and nephew. My girl, who just started talking proper words barely a month ago, was mumbling ‘itchy itchy’ while rubbing her eyes. My nephew was rubbing his eye frantically and his eye turned red,” she wrote.
The incident first went viral on TikTok, where footage captured by a bystander accumulated over two million views in total.
It showed a heated standoff between Lim’s group and the boy’s family, with a woman and two men screaming at each other.
@kakading Reply to @kakading ♬ original sound – kakading 卡卡叮
Lim claimed the man said the boy was “mischievous,” but that it was a “small matter” and was about to leave the restaurant when Lim called the police.
Another video showed a police officer and medical responders arriving.
@kakading Reply to @shaunharn1998 ♬ original sound – kakading 卡卡叮
While this was going on, Lim said the staff did not say or do anything to help. The manager told her that the restaurant was too busy for him to intervene, and that the fire extinguisher was not faulty.
“[T]he manager exclaimed that the restaurant was facing a long queue and cannot render us assistance. Moreover, the safety pin was missing and hence not the restaurant’s fault,” she wrote, adding that he did not even follow up with giving them warm water.
If things could not get any worse, Lim said their order was missing drinks, fries and an ice cream.
Lim continued to blame the restaurant for not securing the fire extinguisher that sparked off the whole incident.
“Me and my family have to fend for ourselves for an incident that happened in the restaurant’s premise[s] that happened in the first place because they failed to ensure the extinguisher was secured,” she wrote.
Other stories you should check out:
Singapore’s Dear Straight People drops gay drama set in Bangkok
Marshmello, Westlife, Green Day to rock Singapore’s F1
6 Singaporeans honored for Bedok North fire rescue