So this is what Manila’s booze ban has come to.
Two residents of Baseco Compound in Tondo, Manila have died and one remains in critical condition after drinking their own homemade alcohol that was mixed with paint thinner yesterday.
The victims—who were simply identified as Rene, Boboy, and Dandy—reportedly made their own liquor using a mix of coffee, vinegar, and soft drinks, news show 24 Oras reports.
Rene’s sister named Leni Dinopol told GMA News that the men had been drinking the concoction for several days until one of them suggested that they should mix paint thinner with the liquid.
On Monday, Dinopol found her brother unconscious and foaming in the mouth, radio station DWIZ reports. Meanwhile, his drinking companion Boboy complained to Dinopol about losing his eyesight and tried to crawl his way to a nearby hospital but was later found unconscious on the side of the road. Both were eventually rushed to the hospital, but were later declared dead.
Their friend Dandy remains in critical condition at the Philippine General Hospital.
The Centers for Disease Control counts toluene, a common solvent in paint thinners, as a toxic substance. Its inhalation and ingestion can lead to nausea, fainting, and damage to the lungs.
Manila has imposed a temporary liquor ban on March 30 with Mayor Isko Moreno alleging that alcohol has fueled “streetside gatherings and parties.” He also said that drunks were disobeying social distancing policies and the curfew that has been imposed in the city due to the Luzon-wide lockdown.
Several Metro Manila cities including Marikina and Quezon City have also imposed the temporary booze ban since the lockdown was imposed.
Read more Coconuts Manila articles here.
If you're gonna share your opinions for free on the Internet, why not do it for a chance to win some exciting prizes? Take our 2021 Coconuts Reader Survey now!