Malaysia’s High Commission in Wellington has reported that two of our country’s citizens were injured in the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
The injured individuals are currently receiving treatment in hospital, and a spokesperson for the High Commission has said that more information is still forthcoming.
As reported, there was a shooting incident in Christchurch mosque at 1.40 pm today. The High Comm is in close contact with the local authorities to get further details on the victims. So far, one Malaysian is confirmed injured and currently receiving treatment at the hospital.
— HCMalaysiaWellington (@MYHCWellington) March 15, 2019
Later the Foreign Ministry offered their own official statement:
“As of 3pm (Malaysian time), no Malaysians are reported to be among the fatalities. However, two Malaysians are injured in the incident and being treated.”
A tweet from Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah earlier in the day indicated that the injured Malaysians are in stable condition.
Another unconfirmed tweet earlier purported that at least two Malaysians were inside at the time, with one shot twice in the back.
Just heard at least 1 Malaysian, a Mr Tarmizi MCKK C90 was shot twice in the back. His son missing. Not sure yet how many Malaysians involved.#christchurchshooting
— Rejaie Arbee #GirlsNotBrides (@rejaie) March 15, 2019
Malaysia’s High Commission posted to their Facebook account, informing concerned citizens to contact them at +64-210440188 or +64220662118 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reports emerged this morning that terrorist attacks in the form of mass shootings had occurred at two mosques in the city of Christchurch, on New Zealand’s southern island.
The attack on two crowded mosques in Christchurch during Friday prayers left multiple people dead, New Zealand police said, on what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. At a press conference this afternoon, she confirmed that at least 49 are dead.
Witnesses spoke of seeing bloodied bodies, with children also believed to be among the dead, and police warned of “extremely distressing footage” of the incident circulating on the internet.
Police said four people — three men and a woman — had been taken into custody, and that they had found and neutralized a number of IEDS (improvised explosive devices).
A Palestinian man who was in one of the mosques said he saw someone being shot in the head.
Additional reporting by AFP