A bizarre incident took place at United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong yesterday when a 37-year-old woman, who was admitted after jumping into Lei Yue Mun Harbour in an apparent suicide attempt, tried to charge her water-soaked smartphone, causing a short circuit.
The woman, who reportedly jumped into the water following a phone call with a friend, swam back to shore on her own accord and took a taxi to leave the scene, reports Apple Daily.
The police, who were alerted by the woman’s concerned friend, were able to discover her whereabouts shortly after. She returned to Lei Yue Mun half an hour later and was convinced by police to be admitted into United Christian Hospital, accompanied by an officer.
While in hospital, the woman apparently used a socket in the emergency room waiting area to charge her Samsung S6 smartphone. Bad idea, as it seems Samsung phones are exploding at the best of times right now.
A security guard, 59, who discovered smoke and sparks to be emerging from the socket, called emergency services.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the smoke and sparks had subsided. Services in the emergency room were not affected.
The hospital stated that sockets at the hospital are for medical equipment only, adding that there are signs reminding patients not to use them. It also says it reserves the right to recover maintenance costs related to the incident, according to the paper.
If you are experiencing depression or suicidal thoughts, please call the Samaritans’ 24-hour hotline at +852 2896-0000 for help.
Got a tip? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org