Diners down with food poisoning after 5-star hotel buffet in Tsim Sha Tsui

The offending establishment is the upscale Mira Hotel’s buffet restaurant, YAMM. Photo: Mira Hotel
The offending establishment is the upscale Mira Hotel’s buffet restaurant, YAMM. Photo: Mira Hotel

At least 32 people were struck by a bout of food poisoning after eating at a buffet restaurant in the five-star Mira Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

The Center of Health Protection (CHP) said in a statement Monday that those affected experienced symptoms including abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and fever. They ate at the restaurant on Oct. 9 or 10.

Most of them sought medical advice, including three that were hospitalized.

Local media identified the restaurant as Mira Hotel’s YAMM, which serves lunch and dinner buffets with a variety of seafood such as raw oysters and cooked lobster.

It’s not the first time that food poisoning incidents have been linked to upscale hotel buffets. Two years ago, thirteen people fell ill after eating a dinner buffet at Crowne Plaza Hotel in Causeway Bay. And in 2016, the Excelsior Hotel—which closed in 2019—pulled oysters off their menu after several diners who ate the seafood showed signs of food poisoning.

The CHP and Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) are investigating the food poisoning episode at YAMM, according to the Monday statement.

According to the Hong Kong Economic Times, YAMM said Monday that it would close for four days and reopen on Thursday. Coconuts has reached out to the restaurant for comment.

Read more: Woman dies one week after eating Dan Ryan’s Thanksgiving meal that gave 50 people food poisoning

Subscribe to the WTF is Up in Southeast Asia + Hong Kong podcast to get our take on the top trending news and pop culture from the region every Thursday!

Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on