Woman dies one week after eating Dan Ryan’s Thanksgiving meal that gave 50 people food poisoning

A 42-year-old domestic helper has died one week after she got food poisoning from a Thanksgiving meal at Dan Ryan’s, which affected 50 customers.

Miguela Secolles, from the Philippines, had contracted food poisoning after having Thanksgiving dinner at the American restaurant’s Harbour City outlet on Thursday, Nov. 24. She was admitted to Queen Mary Hospital with chronic diarrhoea and vomiting on Sunday, Nov. 27, and was discharged the next day, SCMP reports.

On Thursday, Secolles’ employer reportedly found her dead in bed. Her cause of death has yet to be confirmed, pending an autopsy. An investigation by police from the Western District is underway.

Chief executive of Dan Ryan’s parent company, Merritt Croker, said the group would do the right thing “once the cause of death is established”, and added that the company was supporting the family “like anyone else that has been affected” by covering their medical expenses and reimbursing their meals.

According to the Department of Health, Secolles was one of 50 people who fell ill after eating at Dan Ryan’s Tsim Sha Tsui branch during Thanksgiving. Eight of the affected diners were hospitalised. Croker issued a statement last week that the poisonings were suspected to have been caused by bacteria from a batch of imported turkeys.

 


Got a tip? Send it to us at hongkong@coconuts.co


 

Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!



Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply

BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on