A chemical analysis of a water bottle that a runner suspected was poisoned after he left it unattended concluded last night that it was contaminated with animal sedatives.
A high concentration of horse tranquilizer Xylazine was found in the bottle Wirot Silabaht suspected had been poisoned by a would-be thief after he nearly blacked out drinking it. The examination was conducted by Weerachai Phutdhawong, a professor at Kasetsart University.
He said small doses of Xylazine are commonly used to anesthetize mammals such as horses, buffalos and cats. The amount in the runner’s bottle would have killed Wirot if he had drank it all, the professor said.
Wirot said he noticed a strange taste to the water after retrieving it following a 30 minute run one week ago at the Makut Rommayasaran Park, which is near the Nonthaburi Provincial Court.
He returned to his office, where he soon felt nauseous and nearly passed out. Coworkers took him to the hospital. The bottle was later found to have been punctured near the cap.
Weerachai said that Xylazine is normally only sold to veterinarians, but it is sold widely online as it was once a notorious “date rape” drug.
Wirot said today he was still awaiting urine test results from Ramathibodi Hospital.
Paywall: You’re outta here, Coconuts stories are free for all
We have removed our paywall on all Coconuts stories. This does not mean the end of COCO+ Membership at all, but the value proposition is changing.
Rather than being a transactional subscription – whereby you pay for access to content – it is now a true membership program – whereby Coconuts stories are free for everyone but super-fans can monetarily support our independent journalism, and get added member benefits.
If you'd like to support Coconuts, you can become a COCO+ Member for as little as US$5 per year. Thank you!