To mark its 50th anniversary, all-time classic The Godfather will hit the cinemas in Thailand on Thursday remastered in ultra-high definition.
Twelve theaters – 10 in Bangkok and 2 in Chiang Mai – will show a 4K limited edition version of Francis Ford Coppola’s iconic The Godfather.
Inspired by Mario Puzo’s novel of the same name, the 1972 film defined the cosa nostra, or Sicilian mafia, for the world by chronicling the life of a New York gangster family headed by Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) and his successor, Michael Corleone (Al Pacino).
After its March 12, 1972 debut, the film became the world’s highest-grossing film ever made at the time. It won Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay, while its sequel won six Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor.
Here’s where to see it:
- Major Cineplex Ratchayothin
- Esplanade Cineplex Ratchadapisek
- Mega Cineplex, Mega Bang Na
- Quartier CineArt, EmQuartier
- Emprive Cineclub, Emporium
- Embassy Cineplex, Central Embassy
- Paragon Cineplex
- SF World Cinema, CentralWorld
- SFX Cinema, CentralPlaza Lat Phrao
- House Samyan, Samyan Mitrtown
- SFX Cinema Maya Chiang Mai
- Major Cineplex, CentralFestival Chiang Mai
The film and its sequel, The Godfather Part II, screened in 2018 in the 1,000-seat, now-demolished standalone Scala theater. The full trilogy will be released in 4K next month on Blu-ray.