All it took was a little fire to transform one Singaporean man from dutiful husband and shopping buddy into a fire-fighting man of action.
Nabila Abdul Rahim told the world that she was at the Century Square mall in Tampines with her husband Tuesday when he leaped into action with a fire extinguisher after flames erupted following an explosion in the food court.
“So proud of you! Thank you for putting out the fire with a few who came to help too,” Nabila later wrote online about her husband, Muhammad Farhan Safaruan, along with a video of his grinning, ash-smudged face. There were no injuries reported.
Thanks to Farhan and the others who helped – as well as the water sprinklers – the fire was put out by the time firefighters arrived, the Singapore Civil Defence Force, or SCDF, said in a statement.
“The fire, which involved a floor cleaning machine at third floor, was extinguished by the sprinklers before the arrival of SCDF,” the post said. The fire broke out at the Food Market on level three at about 4:15pm.
“About 4,000 shoppers and staff from the building were evacuated as a precautionary measure,” it added.
The mall was closed for about two hours, with some shops closed for the day, its management later announced.
The food court will remain closed until further notice.
Other photos posted online showed the mall choked with smoke from the food court fire, and hordes of people evacuating.
Nabila said it was a dramatic day.
“That was my first time experiencing a fire & hearing an explosion,” she wrote. “The floor legit was shaking. What an experience.”
Responding to those who applauded his actions, her husband Farhan said in the comments:
“Thanks gaise. Just did what I had to do.”
50 firefighters respond as huge ‘vegetation fire’ breaks out at East Coast Park
4 rescued after fire caused by PMD breaks out at Ang Mo Kio flat
Singapore Airlines bans some Apple MacBook Pro laptops from flights over fire risks