Students were sent home from a secondary school this morning after a bomb threat was phoned in.
Officers responded to an alert by staff at the Evergreen Secondary School in Woodlands and deemed it bogus, according to Education Minister Chan Chun Sing.
“The Police responded swiftly and conducted a thorough sweep of the school compound. The Police have completed their security checks, and determined that it was a false threat,” Chan wrote online.
Chan said staff and students remained calm while officers searched the campus. Students were later sent home and teachers were checking in on them.
No further details of the threat had been released as of publication time.
Coming almost a year to the day after one of Singapore’s worst episodes of campus violence, the bomb scare prompted Chan to warn of zero tolerance toward threats against schools.
“I am glad that all our students and staff are safe, and thank the Police for their swift response. The safety of our students and staff is paramount, and Ministry of Education, Singapore will not tolerate any threat or action that endangers our schools,” he said.
The nation was shocked when on July 19, 2021, a 16-year-old River Valley High School student stabbed a 13-year-old boy to death on campus. The accused is awaiting trial at the Changi Prison Complex.
Other stories you should check out: