Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council said it has fixed the wiring in a lamp post that may have caused two teenagers to be electrocuted while playing near the playground on Sunday.
The neighborhood estate managers told the press yesterday that it was an isolated incident that was probably caused by an exposed live wire. Both teenagers, one of whom was said to be 14, were taken to hospital after one of them touched the lamp post at around 8:30pm at Block 63 Lorong 5 Toa Payoh.
They were playing football when one of them tried to retrieve the ball from near the lamp post but ended up getting shocked. The other person reportedly became electrocuted while trying to save him.
The duo were taken to the KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, where one of them has since been discharged while the other was moved out of intensive care on Monday.
The town council said Monday that it found a small tear in a wire’s insulation that could have come into contact with the lamp post. The problem was rectified yesterday and no similar issues were detected in the surrounding lamp posts, it added.
It carried out safety inspections every six months on switch rooms and electrical installations on top of monthly checks for defects in outdoor fixtures, according to the town council. The most recent electrical inspections on the lamp posts were conducted earlier this year.
“Town council officers also carry out monthly visual inspections to ensure that outdoor fittings are properly in place and will follow up with defect rectification where required,” the council said.
Other stories you should check out:
Cutout standee saga: People’s Association loses out on ‘constructive dialogue’ by canceling meeting, says Malay bride
NParks says it will put up more signs, step up patrol after dozens foraged Changi Beach
Police arrest 15 after hundreds attend Boon Lay funeral procession (video)
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!