Man dies after accidentally swallowing live fish

<i>Photo: Pixabay. </i>
Photo: Pixabay.

A man in Bugasong, Antique Province has died after accidentally swallowing a live tilapia fish on Sunday.

Roger Marcelino, 49 years old, of Sitio Dam, Barangay (Village) Tagudtud South was fishing at around 6am when the incident happened, the Bugasong Police told Coconuts Manila over the phone.

He was immersed in the water while catching fish in the Paliwan River, which is adjacent to his home. His 11-year-old son was fishing at the same time but was far away and did not see the incident.

However, Marcelino’s wife said that her husband usually puts the fish he catches in his mouth so that it won’t get away while he tries to catch more fish. The victim’s wife said that her husband must have accidentally swallowed the fish that was probably moving vigorously.

Marcelino’s wife only found out about what happened when he got out of the water and ran to their house to ask for help because he could not breathe while the fish was stuck in his throat. They tried to remove the fish but were unable to.

According to the Bugasong Police, the cellphone reception by the river was not strong so it took a while for rescuers to arrive. When they did, Marcelino was already weak and had fainted.

He was brought by an ambulance to the Bugsaong Medicare hospital, about 2 kilometers away, but was declared dead on arrival.

Read more from Coconuts Manila here

Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!



Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


BECOME A COCO+ MEMBER

Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

Debunking 7 common myths about online trading

PRESENTED BY

MOST POPULAR