Gubat sa Siudad resort in Caloocan was shut yesterday after photos of hundreds of people swimming in its pools went viral on social media.
Mayor Oscar Malapitan ordered the closure of the resort after he saw the images, he told ABS-CBN Teleradyo. Like the rest of Metro Manila, Caloocan is under the modified enhanced community quarantine where the opening of resorts is prohibited to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Malapitan has ordered all guests to undergo swab tests, and for City Hall to conduct contact tracing. All of the guests who frolicked at the resort had been ordered to go on a 14-day quarantine.
“We weren’t able to monitor it,” Malapitan said, stating the obvious.
Meanwhile, a TV5 cameraman was mauled by the guests for filming them at the resort. Arnel Tugade told radio station DZRH that three men beat him up at about 4pm, as the protocol-violating guests were leaving Gubat sa Siudad.
Two of the men have been arrested, while one remains at large.
“They kept hitting my face; that’s why my nose was broken, and my eyes,” Tugade said. “When they got out, they saw that the media was around. They probably thought that they got caught because of the media. Actually, many of them were screaming at us, ‘It’s the media’s fault!'”
The suspects will be charged with committing serious physical injuries and for violating health protocols.
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!