Padang Rengas MP Nazri Aziz has joined the stream of Malaysian politicians to contract the coronavirus.
Exactly a week after holding a press conference with a large group of reporters, the 66-year-old told the press today that he tested positive for COVID-19 and was isolated at a hospital in Kelantan. The National Front party member went for tests after he was identified as a close contact of a patient who had attended his Jan. 12 press conference. That patient was Zaharin Mohd Yasin, who blogs for the UMNO party’s website.
“Yes, I’m positive for COVID-19,” he was quoted by the Malay Mail, later adding: “I went for vacation right after the press conference.”
His son Mohamad Nedim has gone on Twitter asking everyone to pray for his father.
“Pls [pray] for my old man. He’s in Kelantan. Only him & a Staff were tested positive,” he said.
Nazri was warded at the Raja Perempuan Zainab Hospital in Kota Bahru, about a four-hour drive from the district he represents in Perak. Last week, Nazri rounded up reporters for a press conference, hours after the king declared a state of emergency in the country. He had gathered everyone to formally announce that he was withdrawing his support for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin’s administration, in the hopes that it would lead to another general election.
Too bad for him, the ongoing state of emergency has halted many political activities, including elections and even parliamentary proceedings.
Malaysia has reported more than 160,000 cases and 605 deaths since the outbreak started. The latest patients include Malaysian ministers Hamzah Zainudin, Mustapa Mohamad, Zahidi Zainul Abidin, and Rina Harun.
If you're gonna share your opinions for free on the Internet, why not do it for a chance to win some exciting prizes? Take our 2021 Coconuts Reader Survey now!