Defense Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob has extended the second lockdown for Kuala Lumpur, Selangor state, and Putrajaya city for another two weeks till Nov. 9, as rising number of COVID-19 infections shows no sign of reducing.
Same restrictions, which include no contact sports and no inter-district travel, will continue to take place, Ismail said during his daily COVID-19 address to the nation. The three affected areas were ordered a second lockdown on Oct. 13 that was supposed to end tomorrow. They reported 194 out of the 1,240 new COVID-19 cases today.
“Previously, the government has imposed a lockdown until Oct. 27, and we have decided to extend it for two more weeks, until Nov. 9,” the minister said this afternoon, later adding: “The rate of the virus spreading is still high.”
KL, Selangor, and Putrajaya reentered lockdown around four months after a nationwide lockdown ended in June.
The latest wave of infections occurred after the country concluded its state elections in Sabah, where several parts reentered lockdown starting Oct. 7 that will last until Nov. 8. A total of 927 new COVID-19 infections were recorded in Sabah today, with seven new deaths.
Malaysia has so far recorded 27,805 since the outbreak began earlier this year. The death toll stands at 236.
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!