Mom of confirmed coronavirus patient tests positive, total number of cases reaches 63

Screengrab via Apple Daily video.
Screengrab via Apple Daily video.

Health officials confirmed today that the 83-year-old mother of an engineer who tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus over the weekend has become the city’s 63rd confirmed case.

Chuang Shuk-kwan, communicable disease chief at the Center for Health Protection, told reporters at a press briefing this afternoon that the latest case had been taken to Tuen Mun Hospital on Saturday after fracturing her hip during a fall, and underwent an operation the following day.

After her son and daughter-in-law subsequently tested positive for the coronavirus, doctors also tested her, with the results coming back positive today.

Chuang confirmed that the new patient and her husband had met their son and daughter-in-law over the Lunar New Year break, and that her husband is also being tested for the virus.

Lau Ka-hin, Hospital Authority’s chief manager for quality and standards, confirmed that case number 63 had shared a hospital ward with six other patients, who have now been placed in isolation.

Chuang also added that a couple from Siu Sai Wan — a 68-year-old man and 70-year-old woman — have also tested positive in preliminary tests, and that lab confirmation is expected later today.

News of the latest confirmed cases come hours after officials confirmed that a 70-year-old man had become the second patient with the virus to die.

Lau confirmed that the man — who was the 55th confirmed case — suffered from chronic illnesses including diabetes, hypertension, and poor renal function.

He was initially admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital’s Accident and Emergency unit after a fall on Feb. 12. His blood oxygen level was low, and he was put on breathing support and was subsequently transferred to the Intensive Care Unit.

He was also given antibiotics and protease inhibitors to suppress the virus, and received intravenous dialysis during his hospitalization. However, his condition continued to deteriorate and he passed away at around 7:20am this morning.

Lau said that this case would also be referred to the coroner’s court to determine the exact cause of death.

Meanwhile, two cases were confirmed yesterday: one was the 32-year-old Filipina domestic worker of a previously confirmed case, while the other was a 58-year-old man who lived in Kwun Tong who had recently visited his family on the mainland.

Coconuts has journalists on the ground in eight cities working hard to publish true stories that matter. You can support our work by becoming a COCO+ Member or making a Patron payment.

READ MORE

CITY: HONG KONGCATEGORY: NEWSSUB-CATEGORIES: HEALTH

By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on
MOST POPULAR

Send this to a friend