Man suddenly falls ill after drinking from punctured chocolate milk carton, police investigate possible poisoning

Police are investigating whether a box of chocolate milk commonly sold around Hong Kong was poisoned after a consumer suddenly fell ill today.

At around 3pm yesterday, the consumer, a 42-year-old man surnamed Ng, purchased a 250ml box of Vita chocolate milk from a 7-Eleven store at Ngau Tau Kok MTR station to drink on the way back to his office, Ming Pao reports.

Soon after returning to his office, Ng suddenly experienced dizziness, abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea and suspected the chocolate milk was to blame as he hadn’t eaten anything for a few hours. Upon inspection, Ng found a tiny pinhole at the top of the box hidden underneath a cardboard flap, and his colleagues called the police to say the milk could have been contaminated.

The 42-year-old was taken to United Christian Hospital for treatment and was discharged later that day after his symptoms abated. However, he told Apple Daily that he began experiencing dizziness and diarrhea again today and returned to the hospital, where he remains under observation.

A lab at the hospital is running toxicology tests on his blood and urine samples to identify any potential toxins.

A police investigation by officers from the Sau Mau Ping District crime squad is underway. Police have seized other boxes of Vita chocolate milk from the 7-Eleven in question and are examining the shop’s CCTV footage.  

Anyone who witnessed what happened or has information to offer is urged to contact police by calling 36616245.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article has been updated.
 


Got a tip? Send it to us at hongkong@coconuts.co


 


By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

Biggest stories in Hong Kong

Biggest stories on Coconuts

Latest from Hong Kong

Hong Kong food & Drink

Hong Kong Lifestyle

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on

Send this to a friend