Knife found in husband’s bag in murder-suicide case; police call for info from cabbie

Tiffany Fong (L) and Hugo Chow (R) are seen in a photo from Facebook. Screenshot: Apple Daily
Tiffany Fong (L) and Hugo Chow (R) are seen in a photo from Facebook. Screenshot: Apple Daily

Police are appealing to the taxi driver who dropped off 30-year-old Hugo Chow on the night he allegedly killed his wife, then himself, to step forward and provide any information he might have.

A number of details have emerged since yesterday’s suspected murder-suicide in Hong Kong’s Yau Ma Tei district came to light with the discovery of two bodies lying on the balconies of two flats more than 20 stories below their apartment.

Local media have since identified the couple as Hugo Chow and Tiffany Fong, both civil servants. Chow was a senior foreman at the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department’s cleansing section, while his 29-year-old wife had just been promoted to an information officer at the Information Services Department. The pair had been dating for eight years before they got married in 2015.

“Marriage is not just a feast during the wedding ceremony, but the decades we’ll spend together afterwards. There will be ups and downs in our lives, but I hope we can still walk on together,” Fong wrote on her Facebook page after their wedding, according to Oriental Daily.

The paper went on to say that Chow had moved out of the couple’s home on Friday after Fong had demanded a divorce after discovering her husband had been cheating on her with a university student. That would be in line with earlier police statements that the alleged fight had not been over finances.

Surveillance cameras of the building show Chow returning home at about 4am on Monday by taxi, though CCTV footage could not identify what cab company was used. It is now believed that he was carrying two ceramic knives in his bag on his way home, Headline Daily reports. Police later found one of them, washed, at the bloody scene.

Stab wounds were found on Fong’s neck, back and hands. Forensic officers will determine later today if Fong’s death was caused by the cut on her throat or bone fractures after the plunge.

Reader Interactions

Leave A Reply


Support local news and join a community of like-minded
“Coconauts” across Southeast Asia and Hong Kong.

Join Now
Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on