Fewer people support Hong Kong’s anti-government protests and think authorities should accede to the movement’s demands compared to before, according to the results of a Reuters poll published Friday.
The questionnaire, conducted by the Hong Kong Public Opinion Research Institute for the news agency, surveyed around 1,000 people between June 15 to 18.
Around one-third of respondents said they “very much support” the protest movement, a drop from over 40% last December. Those who “very much oppose” the movement grew from 24% to 28% in the same time frame.
The neutral camp—those who answered “half’-half” and “don’t know/hard to say”—did not appear to change their views significantly.
A question gauging the sentiment of respondents to each of the movement’s five demands also found that support has waned. Besides the call for universal suffrage, all others saw a drop in the number of respondents who think authorities should give in. Just 66% said they think the government should set up an independent commission of inquiry, one of the protestors’ key demands—down from 74% last December.
The results of the survey are a reflection of events on the ground. Protests, which began last year over a controversial extradition bill, seem to have lost significant steam. This time last year, large-scale rallies were held every few days, drawing thousands of people each time.
Demonstrations largely came to a halt earlier this year due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But while local transmission has eased significantly and the city appears to have flattened the virus curve, protesters are yet to come out in the crowds that they did last year.
西寶城「和你shop」 僅一男子堅持唱《榮光》今日有網民號召在全港多區商場「和你shop」，其中旺角新世紀廣場有近百人叫口號響應，但亦有部分商場內參與行動人數相對稀少。在下午 3 時 40 分，西環西寶城一名男子用擴音機播《願榮光歸香港》，自己叫喊多次「香港獨立唯一岀路」等口號，期間未有人和應，男子堅持了約二十分鐘。近期曾經舉辦「和你唱」的西寶城中庭現在圍封，正進行工程。
The quicker mobilization of police, protest fatigue and fears of a retroactive crackdown once Beijing passes the national security law all factor into why protests have plateaued.
Police are also not approving marches or rallies due to a gathering restriction, which up till last week banned gatherings larger than eight. The regulation has since been loosened to allow groups up to 50, but it looks unlikely that public events will be given the green light anytime soon—applications for marches on June 28 and July 1 were shot down Friday.
Paywall: You’re outta here, Coconuts stories are free for all
We have removed our paywall on all Coconuts stories. This does not mean the end of COCO+ Membership at all, but the value proposition is changing.
Rather than being a transactional subscription – whereby you pay for access to content – it is now a true membership program – whereby Coconuts stories are free for everyone but super-fans can monetarily support our independent journalism, and get added member benefits.
If you'd like to support Coconuts, you can become a COCO+ Member for as little as US$5 per year. Thank you!