Hong Kong health officials today announced the single biggest one-day jump in new coronavirus infections since the outbreak first arrived in the city, with 14 new cases, all but one imported.
The new cases made a convincing argument for authorities’ assertion just days ago that the city may be in the midst of a “second wave” of infections as residents rush back to the relative stability of Hong Kong as outbreaks in other countries around the world rapidly worsen.
The total number of recorded cases in the SAR now stands at 181, with four dead, and 92 recovered.
The 13 new imported cases had traveled to such destinations as Germany, Japan, Thailand, and the U.K., among other places, according to the Centre for Health Protection (CHP)
The local case, a 50-year-old woman, had no recent travel history, but worked at an international school, and had recently been out with friends in Soho.
Chuang Shuk-kwan, of the CHP’s communicable disease branch, also added that eight more people had preliminarily tested positive for the novel coronavirus, four of whom were students coming back from the U.K.
One of the preliminary positives was a reporter for the SCMP, which today reported that it had closed its offices for “deep cleansing and disinfection” after learning of the man’s likely infection.
The reporter, who the publication said was attached to its Young Post product, had been at the newspaper’s headquarters on Monday, and had recently traveled to Western Europe.
Despite the closure of the headquarters, the newspaper said its print and digital coverage would not be affected, and that employees would be returning to a work-from-home arrangement.
Around the region
New coronavirus deaths have been reported in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia as the battle against COVID-19 intensifies in Southeast Asia.
Some governments that long reported few or no cases have shifted from denial to more forceful action in the face of the outbreak’s mounting toll. Indonesia marked its deadliest day yet today with 14 more people killed by the virus, raising the total to 19. Malaysia and the Philippines reported two deaths each.
More extreme measures have been taken by regional governments, with Malaysia enacting a nationwide lockdown and Thailand shuttering schools and most venues in Bangkok. Both lockdowns are in place for at least two weeks. The Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte has declared a national state of emergency.
Mosques have become vectors for infection around the region as more cases linked to a virus-hit gathering of 16,000 Muslims in Kuala Lumpur spilled into Brunei and Cambodia.
- The Johor state government is working to reopen Malaysia’s border with Singapore, where thousands of Malaysians mostly from Johor commute to for work each day.
- “We are coming up with a mitigation plan during this Covid-19 outbreak,” Johor Chief Minister Hasni Mohammad was quoted by The Star as saying.
- Malaysia begins its two-week lockdown today, barring citizens from leaving and foreigners from entering the country. Schools, places of worship and most businesses have been closed, except for those providing essentials like supermarkets. Large gatherings, including weddings, have also been banned.
- Those who violate the Movement Control Order face RM1,000 fine (US$230) and six months’ jail.
- One of Malaysia’s first COVID-19 deaths was buried in Johor Bahru last night, hours after his death was announced, according to Bernama. The 34-year-old man had attended the virus-hit mass mosque gathering in Kuala Lumpur before testing positive on March 12.
- The other death in Malaysia involves a 60-year-old pastor in Kuching, Sarawak.
- Coronavirus cases rose to 790 today after 117 new cases were reported, 80 of which are linked to the virus-hit mosque gathering in Kuala Lumpur. More than 500 of the infected are now linked to the event.
- A total of 15 people are in critical condition.
- Total known infections rose to 193 and the death toll to 14 in the Philippines.
- Two new deaths reported involved elderly men.
- Six more infections were reported today.
- Seven people have recovered.
- Veteran actor Christopher De Leon is among the Philippines’ newest patients. The 63-year-old actor revealed on Instagram last night he tested positive earlier in the day.
- President Rodrigo Duterte has put the entire country under a state of calamity, freeing up access to more funds.
- Indonesia reported 14 new deaths today, pushing the death toll to 19. Coronavirus cases rose to 227.
- A number of Indonesian government officials currently on holiday in Europe has been ordered to cut their vacation short and come home. They were originally headed for Saudi Arabia but changed their itinerary into a Euro trip after a ban on Muslim pilgrims from entering holy sites.
- The government has also suspended visa waivers for short-term visits for a month.
- Dozens of new cases were reported for the third time since Sunday.
- Total coronavirus cases rose to 212 after 35 new infections were reported.
- They included cases linked to an entertainment venue and a boxing match in Bangkok. One separate case involved a person recently in Cambodia.
- The Thai government announced a “package of measures” in its bid to contain COVID-19.
- Measures include postponing April holidays and partially shutting down Bangkok.
- Schools, entertainment places, traditional Thai massage parlors and sports stadiums are among places forced to close for two weeks.
- Public transportation services will be ramped up to reduce congestion.
- Government officials not allowed to travel abroad.
- Thais abroad are urged not to return until the coronavirus outbreak is over.
- Taiwan today banned entry to all foreign visitors as coronavirus cases rose to 100.
- Twenty-three new cases reported today mostly involved people who had traveled abroad.
- Brunei has 56 coronavirus cases after two more were reported yesterday. One of them is linked to the mosque gathering in Kuala Lumpur while another had attended a separate mosque gathering that took place in Brunei on March 5. A number of mosque goers from the gathering in Malaysia were also at the one in Brunei.
- Four Brunei nationals who went to the Malaysian mosque gathering have tested positive in Malaysia.
- Coronavirus cases rose to 35 in Cambodia after more than 20 new cases were reported, including three Malaysians who were from the Kuala Lumpur mosque gathering, Khmer Times reported.
- Singapore reported 23 new cases, bringing the total number of infections to 266. Latest cases mostly include people who likely contracted COVID-19 abroad.