3 more coronavirus cases confirmed, bringing Hong Kong total to 56

Screengrab via Facebook video/Apple Daily.
Screengrab via Facebook video/Apple Daily.

Health officials have confirmed that three more people have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of Hong Kong cases to 56.

Chuang Shuk-kwan, the Centre for Health Protection’s communicable disease chief, announced at a press conference on Friday afternoon that one of the cases is a 41-year-old female clerk from Shek O — referred to as case 54 — who was among those at a dinner on Jan. 26 at a restaurant in North Point that was attended by two others later confirmed to have the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19.

Chuang confirmed that even after developing a cough, case 54 still went to work but wore a face mask, and took herself to Ruttonjee Hospital on Feb. 13 after learning that two of her relatives had been admitted to hospital

The other two cases include a 70-year-old who lives in Kwai Chung; and a 61-year-old who lives in Sheung Wan and mans the counter at the Ka Ho Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood.

Chuang said the 70-year-old had been to the Lok Ma Chau border crossing prior to Jan. 22, but it’s not clear if they actually went to the mainland.

The 61-year-old woman, meanwhile, had also continued going to work after developing a cough and shortness of breath, but also wore a mask. She was admitted to hospital on Thursday.

Chuang said the woman’s husband went to Guangdong for five days in January to visit their son, but that neither of them have shown any symptoms.

 

RELATED: Roses are red, face masks are blue: Survey finds people want masks, hand gel for Valentine’s Day


By signing up for our newsletters you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Leave a Reply

Coconuts TV
Our latest and greatest original videos
Subscribe on
MOST POPULAR

Send this to a friend