For the first time since early March, health officials today announced no new infections had been found.
Along with the announcement that no additional deaths had been recorded for a fourth straight day, the news buoys hope that the worst days may be behind, after 3,017 infections and 56 fatalities were recorded since January.
A day after the prime minister told the nation that emergency measures could continue past May, COVID-19 task force spokesman Taweesilp Wissanuyothin said it was too soon to expect a return to business as usual.
“There may be reports of zero infections for several days, but who knows? Someone may be in contact with a patient but not be showing signs yet,” he said, citing a recent recurrence of infections in South Korea attributed to an asymptomatic carrier who visited a pub.
The last time a day passed with no new cases logged was March 9, when only 50 had been confirmed. While testing has been limited, two weeks of single-digit reports have fueled optimism and efforts to reopen the economy.
A state of emergency remains in place along with an overnight curfew and raft of restrictions limiting business operations and travel.