A young, mischievous long-tailed macaque lost consciousness for 10 hours on Sunday after sucking up some strong, sweet iced coffee that a tourist left unattended for a few minutes in Bangkok’s waterfront Bang Khun Thian district.
The coffee was left hanging in a plastic bag from the handlebar of a motorcycle when the 6-month-old male monkey got hold of it. He got sick quickly and passed out as a bodily reaction to so much caffeine in his tiny body, reported The Nation.
Members of the Facebook group “Khon Rak Ling Hua Jai Kraeng” (Thai for “Good-hearted monkey lovers”) responded to the incident with a local veterinarian after being tipped off about the sick monkey by a vendor at the nearby floating market that had witnessed the event.
After rushing the monkey to Doctor Raiwin Pet Hospital, he was put on a drip of saline and carbon until 3am yesterday, when he appeared to recover.
He was released back to his troop by the waterfront yesterday but the monkey-loving Facebook group said they would keep an eye on him.
This group, the same one that first made the world aware of chubby monkey Uncle Fatty, went on to warn people, as they often do, not to feed processed or human foods to the macaques and that they should only be eating fruits and vegetables.
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!