Thailand has gone from 82 officially announced cases to 411 in just seven days.
Though no shelter-in-place order has been issued, life in Bangkok has been grinding to a halt as a growing range of activities are ordered to halt.
Just today, City Hall ordered a second wave of closures affecting venues where people were still gathering as of Friday night. Restaurants, shopping malls, night markets still saw visitors Friday. Starting tomorrow, all must close except for businesses providing essential consumer goods such as food and medicine. Restaurants will be allowed to serve take-away orders only; those in hotels may only serve to hotel guests.
Another 89 infections were reported Saturday, capping a six-day run of new daily highs.
Here is a list of everything that’s been ordered closed in metropolitan Bangkok (which includes Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Nakhom Pathom and Samut Sakhon provinces).
Update April 2:
- All public parks through end of April
Update March 30 five more venues ordered closed:
- children’s playgrounds
- any kind of competitive arena (e.g. e-sports, racing, beauty pageants, etc.)
- performance venues (e.g. concert venues, outdoor movie venues, traditional likay venues)
- public libraries
- Health spas, massage parlors (normal and sex varieties)
- Movie theaters
- Weight-loss centers
- Gyms, fitness centers
- Waxing salons
- Skating rinks
- Amusement parks, bowling alleys, arcades
- Internet/gaming cafes
- Golf courses, driving ranges
- Public swimming pools
- Tattoo parlors
- Day-care centers
- Buddhist amulet markets
- Boxing stadiums
- Cockfighting arenas
- Meeting and exhibition venues
- Early childhood development centers
- All schools including public, post-secondary, universities, colleges, vocational, private international, religious and tutoring schools.
- Senior centers and retirement homes will be closed to visitors
Correction: Due to a typo, an earlier version of this story misstated the current number of reported infections as 422. It is in fact 411.
Fast. Funny. Digital. We produce creativity that delights and influences customers. Join forces with us to slay buzzwords, rise above the noise, and sow the seeds of something great.