Want to tell stories that matter? To serve the people of Bangkok their fix of news, serious and fun? Are you up to date on the issues in the street more than those echoing in the same-same media coverage?
We’re looking for someone with a keen eye for what’s going in Bangkok, a hunger for telling stories, sharp writing skills and an appetite to learn.
The job is for knowledgeable news pros with judgment and flexibility to cover everything from street crime and politics to development and internet culture in Bangkok.
Our ideal candidate is someone who, like us, wants to serve our readers by explaining things they need or want to know. Someone who wants to tell the story of this vibrant and dynamic city. Someone who can write crisp daily stories as well as thoughtful features. (Humor and wit are big pluses.)
Reporter candidates should be bicultural, bilingual Thai nationals committed to telling the truth without fear or favor in a newsroom where professional ethics are championed – and expected. We prize diversity as essential to this mission.
- Break daily news items and offer a fresh perspective on ongoing topics
- Be on the lookout for scoops and untold stories. Pitch and write everything from short news briefs and original features to photo essays and more, with an emphasis on Bangkok.
- Work the phone and messages to contact sources for balanced, original reports.
- Lead local coverage by identifying stories before our competitors. Competitive reporters never settle for following when they can lead.
- Conduct interviews and translate written materials from Thai to English.
- Manage social media to help stories find an audience, primarily but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- A university degree and at least one year of editorial experience, though more is preferred.
- A Thai national fluent in both written and spoken English and Thai.
- Enough tech proficiency to use WordPress, social media and edit photos.
- Experience in photography and videography is a plus.
- This is a full-time position in our Thonglor newsroom that also involves travel and field reporting.
- For the time being, we offer workplace flexibility based on changing pandemic circumstances.
Applicants should email a cover letter, CV, and English-language writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're gonna share your opinions for free on the Internet, why not do it for a chance to win some exciting prizes? Take our 2021 Coconuts Reader Survey now!