Yo, ajarn harshing your mellow with some dirty low damn scores?
Well hear this nong chai, take that pain and brain away by hooking up some sizzurp … I’m talking some Purple Drank!
Public health officials sounded the alarm yesterday over the spread of a homemade narcotic-like cocktail among teenagers easily dewed up from cough syrup, soft drinks and hard candy.
Called ya pro by students, it’s a toxic import glamorized last decade for its ghetto-glamor authenticity in American hip-hop culture.
In 2013 US rapper Lil Wayne was hospitalized for severe addiction to teh drank, commercial varities of which are marketed as “anti-energy drinks” with names like “Purple Stuff,” “Sippin Syrup” and “Lean.”
“The prescription-strength cough syrup used in purple drank contains codeine and promethazine,” the Wikipedia breaks it down. “The cough syrup, used in doses much higher than medically recommended, is typically mixed with ingredients such as the soft drinks Sprite or Mountain Dew and optionally “a Jolly Rancher hard fruit candy thrown in for extra sweetness.”
And proper consumption is to sip drank out of big, styrofoam cups, the Wikipedia notes.
In Thailand the cough syrup Procodyl, which contains promethazine, is widely available.
An education official put the blame on Google and information.
“What is seriously worrying is students can easily search for the mix from Google,” Thi Bhawangkanantha, head of the education commission’s Child Protection Centre, said in Bangkok Post.
In the United States, promethazine is now a strictly regulated drug.
Thai authorities said they will instruct pharmacists to to be cautious before selling the medicines to students, Thi said.